Title: Mental Health Counselor
Reports to: Clinical Director
The Mental Health Counselor…
- Must be a licensed Mental Health Counselor able to practice in the state of North Carolina.
- 1-2 years of clinical experience
- Strong communication skills – verbal and written.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to communicate via email with attachments and encryptions.
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to complete treatment documentation quickly and thoroughly
- Ability to work as part of a team – including a PATH instructor/Equine Specialist and volunteer session assistants.
- Ability to work independently.
- Horse experience preferred.
- Counselor will work in a clinic setting, and when appropriate, an indoor arena, and outdoor arena setting.
- Each treatment session includes no more than 45 minutes of equine activity, and there will be many treatment sessions back to back. The counselor should be comfortable working outside and walking for long periods of time.
(shall include, but are not limited to)
- Facilitating individually tailored therapy sessions with individuals, groups and/or families.
- Performing evaluations of patients
- Accurately completing and maintaining required documentation and case notes per Shining Hope Farms policy and state issued Minimum Standards including daily treatment plan updates and progress notes.
- Communicating and working with the interdisciplinary team and direct care staff to ensure the therapeutic needs of the clients are met and to determine the best practice for meeting those needs.
- Developing, conducting and monitoring appropriate therapeutic tasks, to assist each client in accomplishing their treatment goals.
- Keeping track of your own client schedule
- Being the primary contact for the patients and their families (including providing them with your number for cancellations and scheduling issues)
- Entering billing, evaluation and treatment information in the billing program in a timely manner. Visit needs to be in the billing program by the end of the day and cannot be done before you see the patient. Note should be done within 24 hours.
- Maintaining your workspace in an appropriate manner (i.e. returning all items to their appropriate location at the end of the day, and making sure all patient information is locked-up). No equipment, manuals, software, etc. shall be taken off the property without a written request submitted to the office.
- Submitting faxes/paperwork.
- Mentoring volunteers and shadowing students who come to volunteer/shadow because they are interested in the discipline
- Supervising and directing students (interns/students in their clinical affiliations/students in their fieldwork experiences) as assigned by Volunteer Coordinator (this may include, but is not limited to composing evaluations, progress reports, and day-to-day guidance and supervision)
- Making the schedulers aware of every schedule change (as it will effect staff and volunteers)
- All sessions will be scheduled on the hour and last one hour with a maximum of 45 minutes of equine time. There must be a minimum of 15 minutes for the barn staff to prepare for the next session.
For more information, or to apply for this position, visit our contact us page.